Monday 9 September 2013

'I survived Colca Canyon'

our walking group
...okay, so maybe the title is a bit over the top. In any normal person's opinion, Colca Canyon wasn't that hard. But this is me, so it felt like a complete mission. Basically, we went on a 2 day trek into the Colca Canyon, which is about 4 hours outside of Arequipa. It's beautiful, and full of rolling mountains and tiny oasis(es??). The tour guide told us that yeah, the trek is easy, don't worry, you walk 3 hours down on the first day and 4 hours up on the second day. It'll be fine, right?! No. No it was not. Steph loves a good trek so obviously, she was fine. However, as I haven't really been able to get used to trekking (see my previous post), it was not an easy feat for me. Don't get me wrong, the landscape is beautiful. However, when you have to walk down a 1100m descent in the sweltering heat, getting a nice view is not really what you care about. Getting down alive is what you care about. I swear there were moments when I thought, 'nope, this isn't happening today, let the mountain take me, I don't care anymore'. It was SO HOT. Eventually, I made it to the bottom, which consisted of a beautiful oasis, complete with swimming pool, bar and hammocks. Yes it was worth it! Sitting in the hammocks looking at the stars was definitely worth it. So we relaxed by the pool for the rest of the day, and laughed in the face of the guide when he asked if we wanted to do a little extra trek.
having a lovely time in the oasis

hey you condor
I've forgotten to say that before we did this mission of a walk, was took the bus to a Condor viewing point - which was amazing (the con
dor is the biggest bird in the world apparently, and is a sacred animal in Peru).

So the next day, we had to wake up at 4am to - get this - walk back up the same part of the canyon again. I know. At least it wasn't as hot though. So my group powered on ahead, and I walked at my own pace with a group of German & Polish guys (seriously, the Germans are everywhere here!), which was nice. The walk, however, was not nice. It took me around 3 hours, swear to God though there were times where I was not going to make it. I demolished the breakfast at the end, best food I'd ever eaten. After we'd all collapsed into the bus to go back, we were able to stop and see some Alpacas in the wild, drink some more Pisco Sours - made with some sort of cactus, and stand at the highest point in Arequipa (well I think that's what it was...) -it was 4900m, so pretty high, and pretty cold. When we got back to the hostel, we had some delicious Mexican food then collapsed into bed.

All in all, it was an interesting/hard/fun(?) couple of days, which did make me feel great when I'd completed it, but made me wanted to have a little bit of a cry whilst I was doing it.


Beautiful Arequipa
We're leaving Arequipa tonight, which is sad, because it has to be my favourite place so far. The buildings are so so beautiful, and there are so many amazing places to explore. Also, the food is delicious. We get a bus to Nazca at 10pm, so to fill the day we're going to do a traditional Peruvian cooking course in about an hour (yes, we do love our food). I have to come back to Arequipa, it is not a place that you can leave!

Some places I recommend in Arequipa -

  • The Cathedral - we haven't actually been inside the 'widest cathedral in Peru' yet, just because of timing, but from the outside it's beautiful. Apparently its amazing on the inside too. 
  • Juanita - Juanita is a 12 year old girl who has been perfectly preserved in the mountains for 500 years. She was discovered accidentally but climbers in 1995, and has since then been in a museum in Arequipa. The history of her is amazing, and she still has all her organs and blood preserved inside of her. 
  • Crepisimo - food, food, food we love food nom. This place is amazing. They have over 100 types of different savoury and sweet crepes, as well as delicious salads (I have a lettuce, avocado, tomato, walnut and goats cheese salad). Steph had an avocado, chicken and cheese crepe which was beautiful too). 
  • casually stroking a Llama
  • Alpaca World - I patted a Llama in the face. We fed some Alpacas. We were surrounded by Alpacas and Llamas and it was amazing. As you can see how the Alpaca/Llama/Vicuña wool is made and dyed. It's really interesting. And you get to pet real live Llamas. Everyone's a winner. 



So that's where I'm up to about now guys, I'm sure I'll do another post when I get to Nazca/Ica - so you can look forward to that! Yaaaay Peru!!

Hasta luego chiquitos, S xx

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your adventures :)
    Why did your account of the treking not surprise me??!!

    ReplyDelete